Wednesday, June 12, 2013

BETTER WORLD: REPRESENT

Do you ever feel like you're not being represented?  Sometimes you think 'not accurately', and sometimes you realize that you are 'not at all'.

That's how I feel a lot of the time, and that's why I blog.

I'm a female, black, tall, Christian, attractive, smart, athletic, funny, and happy person. 

I don't see me very often.

I see:
  • Female, Black, short, attractive, smart, inquisitive, sarcastic, and happy
  • Female, Black, short, okay-looking, well-educated, know-it-all, boring, and desperate for a man
  • Female, white, medium-height (which maybe I am more than I am TALL), stay-at-home mom, crafty, married at 20 years-old in the middle of bible college
  • Female, white, tall, attractive, party-girl, w/ a mind for business, 'typical', and shackin'!
  • Female, African-American, short, big butt, weaved-out, smart, seeing a few guys, funny?, and confident
...but never myself.

I had this conversation with my best friend a while ago about how I feel like I'm missing from the media.  I remember realizing how much I actually look up to Michelle Obama, even at 23 (at the time), because of her skin complexion.  I look up to her, hope to meet & work with her, but still feel like she's not me.

The only people I know who I have anything in common with are my friends, sister, and mother.  Still, we are not perfect reflections of each other (THANK GOD)...

I don't see me in my work environments, and honestly, I don't see me in my play environments either!  (Sometimes on purpose.)

It's the strangest thing.

But that's why you should blog, go insty crazy, twitter, Facebook, pin, and tumbl, TOO!

We're missing your voice.  We haven't heard your story.  We don't know what we're missing, yet!

What do you have to say and how often do you want to say it?

I'm not a full-time/professional blogger, yet, but it's definitely something that I know for sure...  There is no such thing as too many bloggers or social media personalities.  Get up on YouTube!  Reboot your Wordpress.

WHY?

Because I need you.  The blogger that you look up to needs you.  The WORLD needs you!

How can you be used?  Who can you speak up for?

YES, some of us like to prepare more than others, but is your SEO more important that lighting someone else up and inspiring them to be great, proud, and encouraged??????

Think about that.

WHO CAN YOU REPRESENT?

with love,

Melissa.

xox! :)
I better 'go ahead' w/ my black, tall, athletic, smart, cute, funny SELF!!  Finished the Soldier Field 10 a few weeks ago!  #PROUD



No comments:

Post a Comment