Friday, August 7, 2015

Los Angeles

California has a certain, je nes ce quois.  I've always wanted to be a celebrity (duh) and always wanted to be seen, but never have wanted to make it happen in L.A.  I've been told by countless friends that Los Angeles would be "my kind of city" but in my mind I am just too trill.  This is not true.  I am still SO trill, and this city is, too!

*go to the bottom for a "long story short" if you want just the guide, this is a beefy post

So I land early Thursday morning and set up shop at my sister's house.  This is rare.  Every traveling Pro knows that you always hit the ground running when you land.  But I just wasn't feeling like a tourist in the moment.  So, I Google a taco place, walk to get post-flight lunch, and sit on the couch and watch movies (my favorite pastime).  
When 'E' gets home, we go grocery shopping, cook dinner, and my Aunt Dionne (she's famous, so she won't mind her name being used, lol) meets us before we head to Xen Lounge in Studio City.  There's an open mic filled to the brim with talent followed by a DJ and then, of course, bed.

The next morning is my B-DAY, and by the grace of God, I am heading to take my very first Soul Cycle class with Angela Davis in West Hollywood (WEHO) where I also have my first celebrity sighting and closest encounter with nirvana on the first day of my new year.  Angela was an effing BEAST and the vibe of the tribe was irresistible.  I was SOOOO elevated.  I mentioned that it was my first time + was given HELLA props for doing such a decent job.  This was really all because A.D. is such an amazing coach.  I sweat my ass off and then asked one of the most famous women ever about where to get a smoothie to refuel.  She makes a suggestion and I'm on 10 so I Google Maps it and walk my happy ass from WEHO right to the edge of Beverly Hills.  G-Maps (Google maps) got weird so I turned around and walked to another location that was said to be closer.  Here is where I grabbed a Pressed Juice: Chocolate Almond (per my childhood idol's request) and literally floated around town just taking in the sun and cozy temps.

*There was also a really steep hill that helped me to decide that I was taking Runyon Canyon and any other hiking workout OFF of my must-do list because it just wasn't something I wanted to do twice ..  I just didn't feel the need in my heart anymore.  (lol)

Back home, I started watching Bob's Burgers because my best friend had said it was a funny show like three years ago.  I chill and change clothes then hit the streets again to see what's up on Ventura Blvd.  Tonight's destination is PERCH and then Laugh Factory to see the homey @brianbabylon take the stage at midnight.  Dinner and drinks were amazing, B was hilarious, the night ended because there was fun to be had on Saturday.  And by fun I mean going to Melody Ehsani on Fairfax.

I plan it perfectly, breakfast, (was supposed to do a run club, but.. Meh), free brow wax at Benefit boutique, trot over to M.E. and leave with the Miniature Mercury Molecule earrings.  Also talk expansion with the shop clerk and hoping they expand to London, because we both want to work for companies that have int'l locations so that we can move overseas.  Back to sissy's house, dress, put in my new jewels, and head to Firefly where my friends Keith James and Niena Drake (both famous, too.. So I'm saying their names) link up and we just make moves.  There's a studio, more childhood friends, and a parody song I wrote about a grumpy manager who had blonde eyebrows and a red beard.  Dropping JUNE 2424.  Home.  Sleep for next day, which is beach day, duh!

Santa Monica (pictured) wow.  My sister and I BLAST the Black Star album from when we pulled out of her garage to when we parked on the promenade.  I cracked the window at the highway exit, turned to her, and said: "the air is different over here".  Just salty and refreshing.  Niena is here again, we walk along the coast, talk big dreams, and finish with a little dinner.  Back to the Valley, grumpy manager and friends are having a BBQ, we go, and its cool.  (I just love hanging with creative people.  They're so live!)

My last full day is Monday.  The night before my flight to Cali, I pulled up my Class Pass account and signed myself up for a Pop Physique class that turned out to be the perfect fit for such a chill day.  I cross the street to Lemonade restaurant and take home some amazing grub.  More Bob's Burgers on Netflix and a drive to pick sis up and head to get Ramen for my first time at Hakata Ramen Shinsengumi Little Tokyo.  Yum! There's a picture, but it just doesn't look appetizing so won't do the experience any justice.  Home, kick it with a few more friends, and pack for the airport the next afternoon.

Wake up late, visit family in West Los Angeles, Snapchat, IN-N-OUT Burgers (pretty tasty!), whiskey, plane.  Surrealness.  On my way home, I am just more clear and refueled and inspired.  I make some new goals, sleep a little, and am back at work in a matter of hours.  It was the best time and I am so grateful to everyone who made it feel like I was visiting a familiar place.

Although I never imagined myself a CALI girl, I do always have it on my mind now.  I plan to visit a lot more, next year, and see it as a part of my future in some capacity.  
I also  want to note the Farmer's Market at The Grove,  it's pretty cool!  Grabbed lunch there and loved the buzz of the peeps that day.

LONG STORY SHORT:
•Sign up for Class Pass because you can workout  anywhere.
•Go to Perch rooftop, Hakata Ramen, and Lemonade
•Melody Ehsani on Fairfax to 'get your wings'.
•Xen Lounge's open mic is fun
•SOUL CYCLE with Angela Davis!!!!
•Lunch at the Farmer's Market at The Grove (something for everyone).
•Pressed Juices Chocolate Almond (unless you have a nut allergy #disclaimer, lol)
•Make friends with strangers.
•Feel the ocean air

That's my list.

I'll be back California!  #getREADY

XOX,
Melissa

*also had a homeless man try to follow me on the bus.  I tricked him into getting off a stop early because I'm from effing Chicago and I'm keen on player creep ish.  NO SIR, NOT ME! HAHA


No comments:

Post a Comment