Thursday, October 9, 2014

Life

The last few weeks have been filled with a lot of delight.

I checked out the Greenline Coffee in the  Woodlawn community in Chicago.  The company is an extension of Sunshine Ministries that employs youth with job training skill and knowledge.  My favorite part is seeing them flex their customer service muscles.  I had a Nutella waffle with berries + bacon and eggs on the side of.   They use a pearl sugar (which could be a normal sugar--but I'm not connoisseur) and the sweetness is just right.

--

I've also been exploring what health & fitness means to me.  So I've decided to transform my regimen around my goals and less about being fit or strong. 

What's resulted is having my toosh in yoga classes almost three times a week!  I've had a goal to be able to do a handstand (starting with a wall-free forearm stand) for a long time now and just realized that a yoga class here and there won't get me to that experience.  #duh #shouldHAVEhadAv8MELISSA #headKNOCK

The bending and stretching gets easier and more challenging by the day!  And I am finding the beauty in: staying in your own lane.  It's a practice that means that I don't bend or flex to impress anyone.   I just do what makes me feel strong and beautiful.   Yes I will push myself to a pose I've never tried or want to perfect or even know that I cannot do.. but "standing forehead to knee" pose just gives me attitude when I even think about it.  So I stand strong in my single-leg mountain pose "thing" like a freaking BOSS!

But you better believe I'm taking wheel.  And I'm doing one leg and then the other!  Wheel is my JAM!  I like to say that I'm just "a wheelin' and a dealin'", laugh at my cornyness, and move on.

--

I realized this morning that I'm plugged in with some industrious and socially tuned in people and had to share about my friend Lydia's production projects: 18th And Bronzeville & The Armoire From.   18th And Bronzeville is a full production house with Lydia handling the biz, her friend Staci making the art come alive, and Akeea getting the buzz out on behalf of the artist.

The Armoire From is their first production mini-comedy-series about a man who is struck with amnesia and is trying to navigate a situation or two having lost his short-term memory.  The idea of it is hilarious and from what I've seen, the process of getting it done is successful!

On Monday, 18th and Bronzeville did a kickstarter fundraising event at North Bar in Chicago and not only was it great to meet some more dope people but I've reconnected with some great friends and associates from 10 years ago (or more).

In that pic it's myself, Lydia, and Morgan.  We started kindergarten together and all graduated from the same high school!

It's so funny because we used to laugh at our parents saying: "I've known so & so for 20 years!"  Back then that seemed so long and impossible.. and yet here we are!

Click this link to get your give on.

--

X
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment